Being in close proximity to Westminster Seminary California, the consistory (pastor and elders) of OURC desires to participate in the life of men who desire the noble task (1 Tim. 3:1) of pursuing the ministry of the Word and Sacraments. In accordance with article 3 of the Church Order of the United Reformed Churches in North America, our pastoral intern program is the means by which we “assume supervision of all aspects of [the intern’s] training, including his licensure to exhort, and assure that he receives a thoroughly reformed theological education.” The following links and downloadable .pdf documents constitute our developing Handbook for our pastoral interns:
Church Polity Helps
- How to Evaluate Your Sermons—Joel R. Beeke
- Guidelines for Intern Sermons—Daniel R. Hyde
- Guidelines for Candidacy Sermons—Classis Southwest US, URCNA
- Scriptures & Prayers for Leading in Worship—Daniel R. Hyde
- How to Prepare Spiritually for Ordination Exams—Ryan M. McGraw
- Bad Behavior on Social Media Can Cost Recruits [the principles in this article relate to seminarians and future ministry]
- By What Means May Ministers Best Win Souls?—Robert Traill
- Positive Preaching and the Modern Mind, Chapters 1–3—P.T. Forsyth [Google Books, Archive.org]
- Problems of Christian Leadership—John R. W. Stott
- Simplicity in Preaching—J.C. Ryle
- The Trials of Theological College—John W. Woodhouse [This chapter is taken from The Trials of Theology: Becoming a 'Proven Worker' in a Dangerous Business, ed. Andrew Cameron and Brian Rosner (Fearn, Ross-shire, Scotland: Christian Focus Publications, 2010) and is used here with their kind permission.]
- The Trouble with Ministers (1)—Wybren H. Oord [This article is taken from The Outlook 64:4 (July/August 2014): 19–21, and is used here with the kind permission of Reformed Fellowship.]
- The Utter Necessity of a Godly Life—Joel R. Beeke [This chapter is taken from Reforming Pastoral Ministry, ed. John Armstrong (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2001) and is used here with their kind permission.]
- The Work of the Pastor—William Still
Former Pastoral Interns
We have been blessed over the years to shepherd godly men who have gone on to pastoral and academic labors for the kingdom of God:
- Rev. Jeremy Baker, church planter of Yuma Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Yuma, Arizona.
- Rev. Jared Beaird, church planter and pastor of Covenant Reformed Church in Missoula, Montana.
- Dr. Dan Borvan, pastor of Grace United Reformed Church in Torrance, California.
- Rev. Michael Brown, former church planter and pastor of Christ United Reformed Church in Santee, California & now missionary at Chiesa Riformata Filadelfia in Milano, Italy.
- Rev. Brian Cochran, pastor of Redeemer Reformation Church in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Rev. Caleb Janson, church planter of Gig Harbor United Reformed Church in Gig Harbor, Washington.
- Rev. Shane Lems, former pastor of United Reformed Church of Sunnyside in Sunnyside, Washington, and currently pastor of Covenant Presbyterian Church (Orthodox Presbyterian Church) in Hammond, Wisconsin
- Rev. Brad Lenzner, former pastor of Emmanuel United Reformed Church in Hanford, California, former church planter and pastor of Grand River Reformation Church in Rifle, Colorado, and currently associate pastor of Christ Reformed Church in Anaheim, Colorado
- Rev. Jody Lucero, church planter and pastor of Providence Reformed Church in Des Moines, Iowa
- Rev. Jonathan Moersch, church planter and pastor of Trinity Presbyterian Church (Orthodox Presbyterian Church) in Capistrano Beach, California.
- Mr. Simon Schuster, currently PhD student at Theologische Universiteit Apeldoorn in The Netherlands.
- Rev. Michael Spotts, associate pastor of Phoenix United Reformed Church in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Rev. David Stares, pastor of Reformed Church of Masterton (Reformed Churches in New Zealand) in Masterton, New Zealand
- Fr. Tim Taylor, minister for youth and families at Holy Trinity Anglican Parish in Hillsdale, Michigan.
- Rev. Collin Welch, church planter of Madison Reformed Church in Madison, Indiana.
- Rev. Zachary Wyse, church planter and pastor of Westside Reformed Church in Cincinnati, Ohio.