Dear brothers and sisters,
In James’ letter he encourages us with the image that our Heavenly Father has “no variation or shadow due to change” (James 1). In other words, while ancient sundials constantly changed the direction of its shadow or while a second hand winds around on our watches during each day, God is the same; he doesn’t change. With all the changes to our lives these past months the Lord has gifted us with a more experiential way of knowing this. Everything is changing, but God’s power and grace to sinners like us remains! Amen?
This week yet another change was sprung upon us: no indoor worship services. When we as leaders of the church family heard this we were deflated and disappointed to say the least. We prayed. We asked the Lord to grant us favor with ANA leadership so that we might be able to still gather but outside. The Lord quickly answered our prayers as we’ve been granted permission to keep meeting at the Chapel but outside in the picnic area below overlooking the beach.
- First off, rejoice with us that the Lord enables us to meet as a church family! Every Sunday no matter where we gather is a gift from the Father of lights (James 1).
- We'll have a number of 10x10 pop-up tents covering the picnic benches
- To abide by our agreement with our gracious host, please continue to wear a mask as you walk up and as you’re in close contact with others (“social distance”). Our world is being torn apart: let’s stay united in Jesus and the things that God requires while accommodating ourselves out of love in things we might consider annoying. Everyone has an opinion about these things; but even if you believe someone is living in fear, be a Christian and love your neighbor as yourself. Amen?
- While there will be spaced-out picnic tables that should accommodate most, bring a beach chair, even an umbrella, as well as hat/sunscreen/shades. It’s going to be sunny and hot.
- Since it’s going to be sunny, beach parking will be a zoo as always. Show up early, even 9am to get a spot and help set up. We’re going to need a lot of help to pull this off. If you can’t come so early, persevere in finding a spot in the neighborhoods around the Chapel, on Coast Highway/Carlsbad Blvd., and even on the east side of Coast/Carlsbad. You’ll get a spot, but it might take a few minutes’ walk. We want you with us!
- Since we’ll be outside and visible/audible to the beach, pray the Lord uses this as an opportunity to save sinners! In fact, invite and bring a friend this Sunday. Maybe they’d never walk “into” a church ordinarily and especially during this time, but perhaps an outdoor service near the beach would help them put their guard down. Pray for someone, invite them, bring them, sit near them.
Elders Hanson, Lule, Miranda & Pastor Danny (The “Consistory")